Nancy Gurl, a place of boredom and wonder!

Monday, May 22, 2006

Gorbachev would be proud

So Jim is currently in Moscow, chilling with his vodka and cavier, while I am here squaring away my office life into what seems to be three boxes on the floor beneath my desk. Damn--six years seems like a freaking long time, I mean it's practically ten years. Six years also means that I have not been a college gal for that long. And the weird part is I still feel like one. I still feel young, I still feel crazy, I still feel like it's okay to engage in cocktails at 1pm. What is crazy though is how fast time really does fly.

I can remember a time in my life when I looked ahead to being 19, and I thought that really encompassed being a young woman. Now, looking back almost (ALMOST) ten years I cannot believe I am going to be someone's wife. I mean it's nuts. It truly is an out of body experience. It's the greatest feeling in the world. We are growing up. Scratch that: we are grown up. I cannot confirm when that happened. I still have so much to do, so many places I have never been before.

I guess those who have come before us really meant it when they say embrace your youth. Time slips through our fingertips like a wet Amstel on a hot day. I find myself looking back to memories of my past. People who have made me who I am today and probably don't even know it. Times when I told myself, at that moment, to remember this forever. Whether it was a late night chat in college, a vacation or a nothing special day, or even a fun summer conversation or drunkfest with friends. Someday I will probably look at now and think 'that was so long ago'

We are all growing, moving, dancing to our own tunes now. We no longer need to conform in order to grow. Uniform skirts and first jobs are over. Now we need to carve out our own tomorrow.

I just really need a beer.